Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Devil's Tramping Ground

The Devil's Tramping Ground
Chatham County, NC


For our assignment in Magic, Media, and Popular Imagination we were asked to work on a Visual Narrative Project.  This project is to help us in the "exploration of visual form and expression, encouraging each student to develop a personal aesthetic while exploring the supernatural of the visual image and how the order of visual images creates story."  I realize that I just copied word for word what our Professor wrote in the syllabus however, 5 years down the road, if I keep this blog and continue with it's posts, Id like to know what I was writing about.  I tend to forget things easily.  I am going with the documentary style in my visual narrative project.  We were asked to find a physical location that claimed to be haunted or possibly had something to do with witchcraft.  I knew exactly what I was going to do my project on.  My father grew up in Chatham County, NC.  One legend there that dates back to long before anyone can remember is the legend of The Devil's Tramping Ground.  It is said that the Devil himself walks this barren circle in the woods of Harper's Crossing and comes up with all of his evil plans while doing so.  Legend has it that no one has been able to stay there for an entire night without getting spooked and leaving quickly.  Folklore says that if anything, including a tent you might try to sleep in, is left on this circle that it will be moved upon wakening.  Let's take a trip through the Devil's Tramping Ground and see what evidence we can find.....




The Devil's Tramping Ground is located at Harper's Crossing in Chatham County, NC.  It sits about 50 feet off of the road.  There is a path from the road to the actual circle.  The path itself is dirt and mud but I also noticed a good amount of quartz rock along the path.  I came to this site as a child.  I must have been 8 or 9 years old.  I remember my father drove, my mom was in the passenger seat, my sister and myself were in the backseat.  My father and I were the only ones to get out of the car and go see the site.  I made fun of my older sister for being scared but she claimed she just didn't want to walk in the mud.  Yea, right.  I didn't remember that amount of rocks from my first visit but it is possible that I simply forgot.  When you arrive at the path and pull your car over, the first thing you notice is a sign.  Placed there by the family that owns the land, the Robert Dowd family.  The sign was not there when I first visited the site.  It had been added in the past 20 years.  What seemed strange though, was what was written on that sign....




                                                                              
                                                                         Welcome
                                                         The Chatham County Vortex
                                      This site is the famous energy vortex historically called

                                                         The Devil's Tramping Ground,
a privately-owned parkland of The Robert Dowd Family.  Visitors to the park are asked to respect the park, its plants, trees, birds and other animals living here and do not cut trees or hunt the animals.  Please do not leave bottles, cans, trash or other litter because it will spoil the experience here for other visitors.  And please do not set fires or conduct inappropriate activities here.  A Magdalene Crystal Column of energy is anchored on this site.  The very high vibrating energy helps to balance masculine and feminine energies, strengthen harmony and expand human consciousness.

I googled the phrase "magdalene crystal column" & found this website;
                                                      http://magdalenecrystalcolumns.com/

I read it but it means absolutely nothing to me.  I included the website address so that you could view it on your own time and see if it makes any sense to you.  Please feel free to post in the comments section if you were able to make heads or tails of the site. 

and so I began my journey down the well worn trail towards the barren circle that is the Devil's Tramping Ground...



There was a news broadcast about this site.  I have included the http://www.youtube.com version for your viewing.








You would think that something like this would be marked or somehow labeled.  The sign I posted earlier is the only marking to the site and it was added just a few short months ago while this site has been legend for over 100 years.  The circle itself is 40 feet by 40 feet.  It is completely open with nothing growing on the circle at all.  The circle is surrounded by trees, bushes, rocks and leaves.  In the fall and winter, leaves do blow onto the cleared circle but they do not seem to stay there very long.  I made contact with the Robert Dowd Family who owns this land to get their direct information on the site and see if they could tell me why it was that no one could stay there overnight and why nothing ever grew on the circle.  Robert Dowds daughter Tamera Owens got back with me and gave me their version of the story which I will get to later in this blog...







Each time I visited the Tramping Ground or have seen any photos of it, there have always been two very large logs laying in the very center of the circle somewhat charred and burned.  This visit proved no different.  There are several smaller branches scattered around but you could almost place bets that you will absolutely see the two large logs.  They are not parallel or perpendicular but one log does lay on top of the other.  Whether this is some type of marker to show the center of the circle or a place to show visitors where to light their own fire, I wouldn't know.  I can only say that I have always seen logs there whether in real life or photos.







 You can see that there was a fire that had been burning the previous evening.  There were no signs of anyone still at the site when we arrived however there were a few "clues" left behind.  The fire had not been put out.  Smoke was still rising from the charred remains.  We also found a crushed beer can, a Halloween type "monster glove" as well as tent stakes without the tent.  You can see this in the following images.







the glove and crushed beer can...



the tent stakes but there was no tent with them...



We arrived at the Devil's Tramping Ground around 9:30am.  If there had been someone there the night before who left the glove and tent stakes, they were gone by the time we got there....or possibly they never made it through the night, leaving some of their things behind upon their quick departure....




My son traveled there with me.  He was curious about the site he had read about in NC Haunting books.  As we were walking back to the car, he told me that he didn't think it was that impressive.  I wonder if his opinion would change if we were out there during the night.




I was able to interview a few of the townspeople to find out if they had any experiences at the Devil's Tramping Ground.  Sure enough, I got lucky and it seemed as if every one's story was basically the same.  Jim McMillan who is now 67 years old told me the story of how he and some of his high school buddies took camping equipment out there to test the theory of whether or not things would be moved off of the circle during the night; including the tent.  Unfortunately, they did not last the entire night.  He told of how it felt like the animals in the woods were carrying on their own conversations that night.  He recalled how he had never experienced crickets and owls so loudly before.  This ended up scaring the young boys and they jumped into their car to drive away.




I did mention that I would tell you what the land owner's claims were regarding this historic spot.  Tamera Owen's stated that " the way I've always understood it was that it was in the center of four or five Indian tribes and they would meet in this location and do there dancing in what is now the circle." This is the explanation as to why the circle never grew any vegetation.  It is said that the Spirits of those Native Americans are still held fast within that soil and that they still meet each night to dance in the circle.




I hope you enjoyed our tour through Chatham County's Devil's Tramping Ground.  It might be possible that I brought you some new insight on the place and stirred up some interest that you also might want to visit there. 


Thanks so much,
Leanne Ortiz

6 comments:

  1. The Devil's Tramping ground sounds mysterious, indeed! Your inages did a good job at taking me to the site. I was beginning to wonder if the two logs were placed in a way to represent a cross. I liked the idea of it being sacred ground for Indian dances of a spiritual nature. That would make perfect sense to ensure that it always stays clear. Maybe your friend who heard the animals so loudly that night was frightened by a possible encounter with a "spirit". I enjoyed taking the walk with you through photos and the story telling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think there would be a legend behind this location since it has been there for so long because no one knows why people can not make it through the night. I am curious to find out if someone will ever try and make it through the night because if they did maybe this place wouldnt be such a mystery. I know it wont be me! They should get ghosts hunters out there and see if they can find any evidence of the "spirits". I did enjoy your pictures and how you interviewed the locals. I think you did a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid we lived near there is a dot on the map called Coleridge NC. The Devils Tramping Ground was the most famous local site then. That was like, 1965-1969. We went there one time and as I remember it looked exactly as it does now. There were stories from "a friend of a friend" but, I never heard any direct evidence about what, if anything, has actually happened there. I had heard, even back then, that people didn't usually make it through the night. I might mention that UFO activity has also been suggested at that spot. It's all speculation at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leanne

    Thanks so much. I have just re-read one of my favourite short stories by John L. Myers called 'All who are out are in free'. It is set on the farm where the 'devil's tramping ground' is located and I was very curious to see what it really looks like and find out more about it. I have always been fascinated by the mysterious and 'supernatural' but as I live in South Africa I have no means of visiting the site. Your blog created a very vivid and informative experience for me which I thoroughly enjoyed.

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  5. My group NC Paranormal research would like to spend the night there, do we need permission?
    you can email me at: support@ncparanormalresearch.com
    Thanks
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tent "spikes" are not spikes. They are rods that fit into each other to create one long rod that slips into a sleeve in a tent. It takes two of these rod-lengths-in-sleeves to hold a tent up, criss-crossing each other at the center top of the tent, & bending down through each's sleeve til each rod length reaches the ground,one end on either side of the tent.
    My brother spent the night in the center of the spot over 35 yrs ago, & when he & his friends awoke in the morning, he said they were all lying on the ground outside of the spot, as well as no longer inside their sleeping bags, which were scattered all about at the edges of the surrounding woods, along with their stoves,clothes,coolers,etc. He said they tried to stay awake, but none of them were able to. He thought that part strange as well. They all heard & felt nothing.

    ReplyDelete